Recently, I came across a slide created by a hospice nurse delineating the Top 5 Regrets People Express in the Last 12 Weeks of Life. They are:
- I wish I had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life other’s expected of me.
- I wish I hadn’t worked so hard. (Every male patient) Felt they missed their children’s youth & partner’s companionship.
- I wish I’d had the Courage to express my feelings.
- I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
- I wish I had let myself be Happier. Realized happiness was a choice.
Some of these I do pretty well. Some…not so much. However, I had a very unique opportunity to start working on one of these immediately. We were in Charleston for a festival we were a part of. Being a University of South Carolina grad, I have a lot of great college friends in the city that I really don’t get the opportunity to connect with much since I live in New Orleans. This was a great opportunity to get back in touch with a few and an opportunity to express what those friendships really mean to me. We set up a happy hour on Friday evening at Home Team BBQ downtown. It was a small gathering but a great one. I’ve been married 5 years now and it was the first time these old friends met my wife. Fantastic evening with some great friends, and I look very much forward to staying in better touch.